To apply knowledge, research, science and education to bring an end to the exploitation and abuse of nonhuman animals.
A world where all animals can thrive free from human exploitation and abuse.
- to translate science and scholarship-based advocacy issues into on-the-ground advocacy efforts
- to bring animal advocacy into mainstream academic and cultural circles
- to promote scholarship-based animal advocacy as a professional path for students
- to partner with organizations working towards similar goals for other animals
What makes Kimmela unique?
There are many organizations dedicated to animal advocacy but none that have as their charter the melding of academic scholarship and animal advocacy to bring about fundamental change in our relationship with nonhuman animals.
We are not:
- Animal Welfare – Our work centers on eliminating exploitation and abuse of other animals and transforming human-nonhuman relationships rather than on enhancing well-being within existing systems of use.
- Human-Animal Studies – Kimmela moves beyond the strictly academic study of human-animal relationships. We are committed to real-world animal advocacy applications of academic work.
- Protest – Kimmela embraces a scholarly form of animal advocacy that includes the mainstream as an integral part of our work.